Our original GIS Laboratory was established in 1992, with a mission to support undergraduate curriculum in geography. Increased awareness of GIS technology within and outside McMaster increased demand for the laboratory’s teaching and research services, and a second laboratory was established in 2008. Both labs are continuously maintained and were most recently upgraded in 2020, and is currently managed by a GIS Specialist. In 2009, SGES became an Esri Development Centre (EDC) based on their expertise in developing GIS tools and software. In 2014, SGES was nominated as an Esri Canada Centre of Excellence for GIS, focusing on new and innovative aspects of GIS technology, including web, mobile, and 3D components of the Esri platform.
The current objectives of the lab are to:
- Maintain highly competent personnel in the state-of-the-art in GIS technology.
- Providing quality teaching within the undergraduate program of the School of Earth, Environment & Society.
- Provide quality short courses to groups from the McMaster community as well as the public and private sector.
- Undertake research projects from a variety of disciplines that are in need of GIS analysis.
- Assist in the development of GIS-related curricula for secondary education in Hamilton and vicinity.
About The GIS Laboratory
GIS Laboratory Schedule (Coming Soon)
The GIS Labs are located in the Burke Science Building, Rooms 331 and 332. The labs were upgraded in 2020, making the facility one of the newest, and one of the best in Canada. We have the following hardware and software available:
Information Box Group
Currently each lab consists of:
- 52 Windows 10 clients
- 2 Servers to support teaching and research
- 24 eTrex Legend GPS Units
- 12 SXPad Mobile Mapping devices
- 5 SXBLUE GNSS units with submeter accuracy
- HP DesignJet plotter
- Full ArcGIS Suite of Software including: ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Online, AppStudio for ArcGIS, WebApp Builder, Survey123, Field Maps, Drone2Map, Business Analyst and more
- Remote Sensing
- ENVI, Google Earth Engine
- Statistical Analysis:
- R, GeoDA
- Oasis Montaj, EkkoProject
- Microsoft Office 365, PyCharm, Atom, Notepad++